Hair extension maintenance and home care:
We strongly emphasize that you take very special care of your hair extensions using proper hair extension maintenance. Hair extensions that have been properly applied and cared for are a beautiful and exciting way to have longer, thicker hair or even add color to your hair. If you follow these steps listed here, you are almost guaranteed that your experience will be rewarding. Remember that it is in our best interest to have your extensions always looking and feeling their best…and of course, you too want your extensions to be the most fabulous and amazing hair you have ever dreamed of. So remember the importance of following your hair extension maintenance routine as we prescribe.
- Dry hair for bedtime. Your hair must be completely dry before you go to bed. Wet or even damp hair will tend to tangle throughout the night and when you wake up and the hair is dry it may be impossible to detangle the hair extensions. Even if this long hair was your own, tangles can occur the same way. For this reason make sure that you have completely dry hair when going to bed. This is a mandatory part of your hair extension maintenance.
- How to sleep. Make sure when going to bed that along with your hair being completely dry that you put it into a loose low braid at the nape of your neck or a loose braid at the nape of your neck. It is best not to wear ponytails or braids off to one side because it is over directing the hair and one side of your extensions will be going through stress. Also your braid and pony tails must be loose enough to not feel any tension on your scalp. If the bonds are being pulled tightly it will cause stress on the bonds which can cause them to prematurely release or even cause premature shedding of your hair. Another great idea is to sleep on a silk pillow case. The fibers in silk are very tightly woven so this creates a nice smooth surface for your hair to glide over. Cotton pillow cases rough up the cuticle of the hair and cause tangles as well as pull moisture out of your hair which can dry it out. You could also try a silk hair scarf or wrap instead of the pillow case.
- Detangling and home hair extension maintenance. Tangles are the enemy. You must do everything to avoid tangles. We will teach you during your hair extension service everything you need to know to care for them at home. You will do home detangling twice a day when your hair is dry. If you are washing your hair then you will do maintenance immediately after when the hair is dry and once again before you go to bed. Home maintenance is simple. You will gently pull the bonds apart, separating them from each other to ensure that any shed hairs are not grabbing onto each other. After this you will use a loop brush to gently comb through your hair, scalp to ends, to make sure everything is tangle free. If you encounter a tangle then gently release it. If you cannot get it then come in and see us quickly before it gets worse, we will be able to help.
- Washing and conditioning the hair. Hair extension maintenance is different depending on the type of bonds you have. For keratin bonds do not get your hair wet for 72 hours after the application but for micro link or I-tip bonds you may shampoo as soon as you wish. When shampooing you will only be washing your scalp. Place our recommended shampoo only in your hands and gently rub them together to emulsify the shampoo. Using your fingertips, gently massage the skin of your scalp. Do not worry about washing the hair. After gently using your finger tips to wash your scalp and massage in between the bonds, tilt your head up towards the ceiling and with your back facing the shower head, allow the water to start at your forehead and rinse the shampoo. As the shampoo rinses it will travel through your hair and gently cleanse your hair extensions without over cleansing them. If for some unusual reason you feel that your hair extensions are in need of a deeper clean then you may gently work the shampoo into the hair extensions before rinsing but always be mindful not to over shampoo as this will dry out the hair extensions. The reason you never face the shower is that your hair will fall in front of you and will more easily tangle when trying to put it back where it will natural fall and be worn. To condition your hair you will not put the conditioner on the bonds. Keep the conditioner at least a few inches away from the bonds as it can cause the hair extension bonds to release. Conditioner is very important for the hair extensions health so using only a conditioner that we recommend, apply the conditioner to all of your hair extensions other than three or four inches away from the bonds and gently detangle all of the hair extensions with your fingers. After detangling using your fingers which in a sense are your largest comb, use a wide toothed comb that you will keep in your shower to further detangle your hair extensions. Always and only detangle your hair extensions while the conditioner is in the hair. Conditioner has a slipping agent in it which will help detangle the hair extensions more easily. All hair including hair extensions are only half as strong wet compared to dry therefore damage can happen much more easily so be gentle and take your time and do a thorough detangling with the conditioner in your hair extensions. When your hair extensions are completely detangled you may rinse the hair extensions exactly as you did the shampoo. A cool water rinse is great to help close down the cuticle layer of the hair to further reduce tangling.Gently squeeze the water from your hair. Gently fluff the hair extensions with your hands and then squeeze the hair extensions again to release more water. Do this about four times to release most of the water from your hair extensions. This will make it much easier and must faster to style your hair extensions later.
- Products for hair extensions. Only use products that we recommend for you. We know what works and what does not, this is what we do. Generally the only product that can touch the bonds is shampoo and shampoo is needed on the bonds to remove oils that can cause break down of the bonds or slipping of your hair extensions. All other products are bad for the bonds and should be applied at least three inches from the bonds. Other than that all other products can be used on your hair extensions on the hair itself because it is real human hair and we use only the best human hair so anything typically can be used but ask us for recommendations of which products to use and how to use them.
- Styling hair extensions. You may use any styling tools you wish but use thermal tools on the lowest temperature settings that will give you the results that you want. You may use a thermal barrier product to protect you hair extensions from the damaging heat. Never touch or even get really close to your bonds with the heat as this can severely damage the bonds and your hair extensions.
- Chemical services. Do not have any chemical services done anywhere other than with us. Perms, relaxers, colors and keratin treatments etc. can severely damage hair extensions and need to be performed only by us. We cannot be responsible for damage to your hair extensions otherwise.
- Hair Extension Maintenance visits. If this is your first hair extension we recommend returning to the salon in two weeks for us to examine your hair extensions and answer any questions you may have. We offer this hair extension maintenance visit as well as one hair extension maintenance visit every four weeks free of charge to you. We do not forget about you after you pay for your hair extensions and leave our salon. We stay with you the entire way to make sure you hair extensions are staying healthy and looking great to help guarantee you have the best experience possible. Come in for your complementary hair extension maintenance visit every four weeks or so and we will make sure you have been doing everything correct and help get you back on track if you have not and we will do our own special kind of in salon hair extension maintenance which will help to extend the life of your hair extensions and keep your own hair healthy. If you do not come in for regular maintenance visits your hair extensions may become excessively tangled and we might need to charge you to fix them.
- Hair loss. It is normal to lose about 100 hairs of your own per day due to the natural growth cycle of hair. Because your hair extensions are attached to your own growing hair you will sometimes lose some hair extensions. This is completely normal so do not panic. If you are losing what seems to be an unusual amount of hair extensions then call us immediately so we can get you in and find out what is going on. If you are experiencing any form of hair loss due to medical conditions or medications then do not get hair extensions until this hair loss has resolved itself. If you are experiencing hair loss due to the hair extensions it is sometimes necessary to remove the hair extensions to protect your hair. We do not apply hair extensions to someone who does not have hair that we believe can safely support them so hair loss due to hair extensions from our salon is very rare but still can happen. Usually it is from improper care of the extensions which is why it is so important for you to come in for your complementary maintenance visits so we can keep an eye on your hair extensions and the health of your own hair.
- Build up, and swimming. It is important to remove damaging build up from your hair extensions. This comes from oils and especially from chlorine that gets in from your shower and swimming pools. Salt water is also damaging. If you are on a well you may get a mineral build up. Use our recommended chelating shampoo which clarifies your hair from these unwanted ingredients. If you are going in a hot tub, pool or salt water then rinse your hair thoroughly with fresh water before entering because your hair will have a harder time absorbing these damaging ingredients if it is already full with fresh water. After you are done then again immediately rinse with fresh water and chelate as soon as possible. If there will be a wait time until you can do this apply a recommended leave in conditioner to protect the hair until it can be clarified.
Servicing of your hair extensions. It is very important to only have our salon perform your hair extensions maintenance and service. We understand the extensions used as well as how to best care for them. Someone not familiar with this can cause great damage to the hair extensions. We have come across hair extensions before that were applied by different stylists that did not follow correct procedures and or did not make sure their client understood and followed through with proper maintenance and the results were at times very bad. We will be with you the whole way to ensure that your hair extension experience is the best it can be. We are first your hair advocates and then your hair extension artists and hair stylists so trust us and let us do our job to give you the best hair extensions that you can have and to keep them that way.